We're baking our way around the world. Here's a classic German wheat bread recipe from chef Michael Huesken at The Charles Hotelin Munich, a Rocco Forte Hotel. Plan ahead: This dough takes 24 hours to prepare.
Note: Bakers usually prefer to measure in grams because they’re more precise, but we’ve included imperial standards also.
600 g. wheat flour 550
385 g. water
10 g. salt
1/2 g. fresh yeast
The dough is prepared with very little yeast and takes about 24 hours to mature.
For the dough:
1. Dissolve the fresh yeast with a little water in a small bowl, so that it spreads more easily in the dough.
2. Mix salt, flour, and the remaining water in a large bowl .
3. Add the yeast water.
4. Knead the whole thing into a dough. While the dough is maturing for 24 hours, you can knead it from time to time.
Bake the bread:
1. Form the dough into shape in a fermentation basket. Alternatively, a bowl with a floured cloth will also work.
2. Preheat oven (with bread pan if available) to 250 degrees for approx. 30 minutes.
3. Place the oven on 225 degrees and bake the dough for 30-45 minutes.
Keep baking! See all the Comfort Me with Carbs recipes.