While we're baking for comfort, we can also bake for health. This recipe from COMO Shambhala Estate in Bali appears in The Pleasures Of Eating Well, by COMO Hotels And Resorts founder Christina Ong. The powerhouse toast filled with omega-3 and -6 nutrients keeps in an airtight container for a week.
REAL TOAST WITH NUTS AND SEEDS
2 1/2 c. bleached whole almonds
1/3 c. flaxseeds
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 large red bell pepper
1/2 large yellow bell pepper
1 English cucumber
2 carrots, Peeled
1 red apple
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Sea salt and white pepper to taste
1. Place almonds, flaxseeds, and sunflower seeds in separate bowls, cover with water and soak for two hours.
2. Put the peppers, cucumber, carrot, and apple through a juice extractor for the vegetable pulp. (You will need 2 cups of pulp.) Catch the juice in a jug, which can be drunk separately as vegetable juice.
3. Transfer the pulp to a food processor and add the garlic, seasoning with sea salt and a grind of white pepper.
4. Drain and rinse the almonds and seeds and add to the food processor bowl. Process, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally until a coarse past forms. Check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
5. Transfer the mix to a bowl. Take 1/3 cup of the mixture and shape into a 2x5 inch rectangle that is 8 mm X 1/3 inch thick on a non-stick sheet on a dehydrator tray. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Place in the dehydrator and dry at 118 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 hours, then turn the pieces over and dry for another 8 hours. Alternatively, dry in an oven heated on its lowest setting.
6. Cool and store in an airtight container.
Still hungry? Check out these global bread recipes.