I Have One Day
Who said one day isn't enough to get a feel for the city? Here's a classic touristy single-day itinerary.
1. Contrary to the opinion that an English fry-up is the only way to go for breakfast, wake up and fortify yourself with the other proper English breakfast: a steaming bowl of porridge.
3. Carry on along Birdcage Walk, following the sight of Big Ben in the distance.
4. Spend an hour soaking up history in Westminster Abbey.
5. Carry on across Westminster Bridge and stop in the middle and ask someone to take your photo with Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament and the Thames in the background. (It's okay: They'll never see you again.)
6. Have you booked the London Eye? That's your next stop. It takes an hour.
7. One more stop before a late lunch: Stroll along the Southbank and see Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. Yes, you've had a busy morning.
9. One pint too many with the oysters? A bit too much sampling at the market? Work it off by climbing the stairs of St. Paul's Cathedral.
10. Then, after a quick doze in your hotel room, head to Soho for drinks or supper. Reservations are handy, if you know what you want, but you could just chance your luck at Polpo, Fernandez y Wells, Roka, or Bob Bob Ricard and finish your evening with a late-night coffee at Bar Italia on Frith Street.